Why Intermodal?Intermodal Fact Sheet 5MB
One container, three different modes of transportation. Intermodal means versatility, anticipating that extra mile and adapting to it. The intermodal journey harnesses the global reach of vessels, the speed and efficiency of trains and the locality of trucking. Shipping by rail is 4x more fuel efficient that trucking alone and CN offers best transit times in the industry. To learn more about the benefits of intermodal, visit cn.ca/intermodal.
Quick facts on Intermodal…
- Offers the only direct rail connection to the west coast ports, Vancouver and Prince Rupert
- 24 hrs faster than competition to most markets
- The most competitive fuel charge in the industry
- Efficient equipment, gate and train reservations
- Later shipment release times
- Quick access to inbound shipments
- Truck turnaround less than 45 minutes
- Access to more than 1000 dedicated and exclusive truck owner operators
- Expanded door delivery covering every address in Canada
Our transportation supply chain Carbon Calculator is a flexible, powerful tool. In just a few simple steps, get the estimated carbon emissions for the entire transportation of your shipment, from vessel to rail to truck.
See how you can reduce emissions when you choose rail over truck transportation.